There is so much fun to be had during Mardi Gras season. Even though parades are canceled — we’re still celebrating with festive attire (and yards) and delicious food! Here are some recommendations from our mom krewe to your krewe.
All About the King Cake, Baby
Give me all the king cake. All. Of. It. Below are some of our favorite king cake inspired foods.
- This isn’t just any ol’ pizza, it’s a King Cake dessert pizza at Lost Pizza Co. in Ocean Springs.
- We searched high and low for a healthy alternative to king cake and we found it with Eat Fit King Cake! They use almond and coconut flour as well as a plant-based sweetener. Don’t let all the healthy stuff ruin your parade. This king cake is goooooood.
- Dolce Bakeshop in Long Beach is selling King Cake decorating kits for kids. $15/each. Order online. Shipping available.
- King Cake biscuits from The Greenhouse on Porter in Ocean Springs will rock your world!
- Homemade king cake ice cream from Quality Bakery? Yaaaaas!
- Enjoy a King Cake frappe from Coffee Culture in Bay St. Louis.
Mardi Gras Munchies
We are crazy for Creole! Local soul foods are a staple in our diet this Carnival season.
- Have you heard about the girl with the fork earrings? Our friend Jambalaya Girl makes it so easy (fool proof, actually) to make the yummiest jambalaya. You can find it at several local stores or online.
- Learn how to make Shrimp and Sausage Jambalaya, Crawfish Cornbread and King Cake at Chef Danie Cooks’s cooking class in Biloxi on Tuesday, February 16 from 3:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Festive Ideas for Your Krewe
- Plan a Mardi Gras brunch or dinner picnic for your krewe with the help of Coastal Picnic & Co.
- Host a fun Mardi Gras themed sleepover and let Sweet Southern Party Co. take care of all the set-up and details!
- Take a road trip to New Orleans for Floats in the Oaks. Visitors will have the opportunity to view iconic floats from various Mardi Gras krewes.
- Let your kiddos decorate their golf cart or wagon and have a neighborhood parade (omit throws, of course).
Party on the Lawn
- Your yardi wants to party! Get your Mardi Gras parade yard set at Fleurty Girl in Bay St. Louis
- And don’t forget your door swag from Sadie Jane’s Famous Wreaths and Gifts in Gulfport.
Let the Good Times Roll at These Local Activities
Learn more about the history of Mardi Gras on the Gulf Coast. Give back to local charities or grab a few friends for festive fun.
- Celebrate Mardi Gras and the carnival season by creating a gorgeous green, purple and gold arrangement with a touch of glitz to let the good times roll! Wood & Wine Design Co. is are partnering with Shindig Floral Design by Alexis Williams to host a very special, one-of-a-kind floral arranging workshop on Thursday, February 4 from 6 – 8:30 PM! Cost is $75 per person.
- The Gulf Coast Carnival Association is hosting its annual 1 Mile Fun Run & 5K Run for the Beads in downtown Biloxi on Saturday, February 6 from 8 a.m. – noon. For additional information, please email email@example.com
- The Cypress Taphouse in Ocean Springs is hosting the Krewe of Cypress Mardi Gras Ball on Friday, February 12 and Saturday, February 13 beginning at 8 PM. Table catering packages available.
- Lynn Meadows Discovery Center is open for Lundi Gras and Mardi Gras, February 15 and 16 from 10 AM to 5 PM both days. Spend the day participating in Mardi Gras themed activities such as mask making. Every child will receive a Mardi Gras goody bag of beads! Activities included with museum admission. Members (free); adults & children ($10 per person); seniors/military ($8 per person).
- White Pillars Restaurant and Lounge in Biloxi is hosting a Mardi Gras Drag Show and Dinner on Monday, February 15 at 7 PM.
- The 10th Annual Krewe of CASA Mardi Gras Gala will be hosted on Saturday, April 10 from 7 – 11 p.m. at the Bay Saint Louis Community Center. Funds raised will help support CASA of Hancock County.
- Learn everything you need to know about Mardi Gras on the Gulf Coast when you visit the Coastal Mississippi Mardi Gras Museum in Biloxi. Hours of operation: Tuesday – Saturday, 10 AM – 4 PM.
Drinks for the Mardi Party
Confetti in your hair, cocktail in your hand! Here are a few of our local faves.
- Coastal Daiquiri Company in Long Beach has made the ultimate king cake daiquiri!
- Enjoy a King Cake smoothie from your local Smoothie King.
- King Cake flavored beer? Um, yes, Chandeleur Island Brewing Company!
- You can find this King Cake vodka at several local stores!
Attire for the Krewe
Need festive attire for yourself and your krewe?
- Pair this Mardi Gras shirt from Panache Apparel & Accessories in Gulfport with your favorite pair of jeans for a great festive look.
- Check out one of our favorite New Orleans stores, Fleurty Girl, for great Mardi Gras gear.
- Riley’s in Gulfport has these cute jammies for the little ones!
- Realizations, Ltd. is a small shop run by the family of Walter Anderson. They have these shirts to wear on the (future) parade route.
- How adorable are these Mardi Gras crawfish romper and dress from The Cotton Patch in Gulfport?
- The special guy in your life needs these Mardi Gras dress socks from The Radish Loft
Beads and Bauble
- Every mom should have a pair of these festive earrings from Love, Ivy. Just because we aren’t having parades doesn’t mean you can’t dress up and have fun!
- We can’t forget this festive little beaded Mardi Gras clutch from Dressed in Blue.
Prizes for the Pages
Looking for Mardi Gras inspired gifts for your little ones?
Gifts Fit for Royalty
It’s a nice gesture to make Royalty feel special with these thoughtful gifts.
- NELLA Home Interiors & Gifts has gifts fit for a Queen! These hand painted pieces are the perfect gift for Royalty.
- Any Royal Court member would love sipping out of these gorgeous Mignon Faget glasses from Heritage House Gifts in Gulfport.
- Jessie Paige Design can make a custom stainless steel tumbler for the special Duke or Maid in your life!
One day you’ll be able to go to ball! Let us help you get ready!
- Pick out a stunning Mardi Gras dress from The Sequin Siren in Biloxi.
- Get pampered at Antonian Salon in Gulfport. They have a spectacular hair and makeup team.
- What’s better than enjoying a few drinks? Enjoying a few drinks that light up with Glo Cubes liquid activated light cubes! Yes, they come in purple, green and yellow! Exclusively sold at Beach Pharmacy in Gulfport.