I don’t know what it is about this year in particular that has made me so deeply aware of the heat and humidity level of south Mississippi.
My sweet sister came to visit from out of town and I was telling her how in the Summer all of our activities, our meals, everything we do is based on getting relief from the heat: boating, swimming, snowballs, splash pads, smoothies, and sweet tea!
This got me thinking, on the Gulf Coast Summer is not just about escaping the heat, it’s also about celebrating it! Something we do well in the South is that we use everything as an excuse to celebrate, and what better way to both celebrate and escape the heat than sweet treats for the whole family.
The Gulf Coast has so much to offer for both kids and adults to enjoy together! Think snowballs and beer floats (yes this is a thing!) or popsicles right across the street from a top-notch margarita. We have so much to offer to simultaneously escape the heat and celebrate Summer together as a family!
Check out some of our contributors’ favorite sweet treats to beat the heat:
- Cups and Cones Pascagoula
- Kevin’s Korner
- Nura Juice Bar
- Edd’s Drive-In milkshakes and chocolate-dipped cones are a classic
Photo credit: Bright-Eyed
- At Bright-Eyed, we recommend the Blueberry or Lavender iced latte!
- Grab a popsicle at Pops Brothers then head across the street for a top-shelf margarita from Mosaics
- Finest Grind
- Bo’s Sno Zone and Snacks
- Ben and Jerry’s inside the Hard Rock Casino
- Sal and Mookies has great ice cream cones and it’s so fun for the kids to see the pizza making
Photo credit: Chillville. Try the beer float!
- Pass the Juice smoothie and juice bar
- Renee’s Fine Desserts & Coffee Bar: think milkshake for the kiddo and fine coffee for mama
- The rainbow snoball from Sno Shack
- Pop Brothers is a short walk in downtown Gulfport from Chandeleur Brewing Company
- The Press Box Daiquiri Lounge
- Chillville Creamery has bubble cones for kiddos and beer floats for adults!
Photo credit: Daisy Belle
- Coastal Daiquiri Company
- Daisy Belles has the most delicious kiwi snoball with fresh watermelon
- Dolce Bakeshop offers homemade marshmallows and handcrafted milkshakes, coffees, sodas and even gelato! Parents can even enjoy a boozy milkshake!
Photo credit: The Pass Daq
- The Pass Daq and FroYo Shop
- Snoball from Sea Level
I’ve intentionally included a few specifically Black-owned businesses to show our support of this community. If you want to find more local Black-owned restaurants check out our full post here.